Our Newfoundlands are only adopted through face to face contact with the adopters – absolutely no third parties. [Please note that this means that you must visit our kennels at least once.] Initial information is usually exchanged by telephone. Then, if both parties are interested in further discussions, an appointment to visit our kennels is arranged at our mutual convenience. This appointment is always made on the understanding that there is no obligation by either party. If you live within southern Ontario, please refer to Adopting a Newf Within Southern Ontario.
Our Breeding Priorities Are:
- To maintain the sweet disposition that is the hallmark of the Newfoundland Dog.
- To produce sound, long living dogs, free of major genetic faults, that are capable of performing the traditional work of the breed as draft dogs, water rescue dogs and as companions and protectors of children.
- To produce litters such that each and every dog is in reasonable conformity with the breed standard of the Canadian Kennel Club.
Hannibal Brood Bitches and Stud Dogs Are:
- Temperament tested by us to ensure that their offspring are not vicious with adult humans and absolutely and unconditionally safe with children.
- Certified clear of hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia by the Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) and/or the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA). Results are verifiable on the OFA website. Hips are also multi-generation certified.
- Cleared of heart problems by a veterinary cardiologist. Results are verifiable on the OFA website.
- Tested for health problems in the following areas: cystinuria, patella, eyes and thyroid. Results are verifiable on the OFA website.
- Available for your personal assessment.
Stud Dogs Used From Other Kennels Are:
- Certified clear of hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia by the Ontario Veterinary College and/or the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals. Results are verifiable on the OFA website or photocopies of their certificates are available for your examination.
- Certified clear of heart problems. Results are verifiable on the OFA website.
- Tested for health problems in the following areas: cystinuria, patella, eyes and thyroid. Results are verifiable on the OFA website or photocopies of their certificates are available for your examination.
Pups “Selected” Under Four Months of Age Are:
Sold Under the Following Conditions:
- Raised at Hannibal Kennels until they are at least four months of age.
- Unconditionally guaranteed for the life of the dog for temperament with humans.
- Guaranteed up to six years of age to be free of genetic/congenital defects that would render him/her functionally unsound.
- Guaranteed to live at least 10 years.
- Hips and elbows preliminary graded by OFA at four months of age or older and found to be OFA GOOD or better and elbows graded NORMAL.
- Examined by a veterinary cardiologist at four months of age or older and found to be free from any form of heart disease that might cause health problems and/or shorten life expectancy.
- Examined by our veterinarian at four months of age and found to be in excellent overall health.
- Sold at our base adoption fee of $3,000 CDN (US funds outside of Canada) plus a $1000 surcharge to cover the four additional veterinary evaluations as outlined in 5, 6 and 7 above. Fifty percent deposit required to hold pup. Balance of adoption fee due when pup is ready to be picked up or shipped (over 10 hours drive only). Purchaser is responsible for all shipping charges.
- Registered with the Canadian Kennel Club at no additional charge and a registration kit supplied for American Kennel Club registration as appropriate.
- A non-breeding agreement or a co-ownership contract will normally be required along with proof of proper facilities in place prior to taking possession. Details of these requirements will be negotiated prior to the acceptance of a deposit.
All sales are subject to conditions 5, 6 and 7 above having been met. If any one of conditions 5 or 6 cannot be met, purchaser has choice of applying deposit to another pup/dog or of having deposit returned.
Dogs Over Four Months:
For pups over four months of age, adoption terms are negotiated on an individual basis.
Pups or adult dogs without breeding restrictions only go to recognized reputable breeders or to breeders being mentored by same; terms to be negotiated on an individual basis.