Raw Whole Prey Diet
- Wild caught raw fatty fish such as herring, mackerel, trout, salmon, smelt, or sardines [whole and uncleaned].
Ideally you should feed small fishes of a pound or less. Usual consumption is 1.5 to 2 pounds per day. You can also buy the fish ground up and serve it that way. The fish can be eaten frozen or thawed.
Raw Commercial Diets
- Red Dog Blue Kat Herring or Salmon raw formulas
- Most commercial oily fish based raw formulas similar to the above
Canned Dog Food Diets
- Blue Wilderness Trout & Chicken Grill
- Boreal Wild Pacific Salmon
- Two or more bread units1 PLUS two or more fish units2 PLUS two raw egg yolks per meal if feeding twice daily. Can be fed separately, top dressed or mixed together. Please check footnotes.
- Sockeye Salmon Mixture (see recipe below)
- Orijen Six Fish OR Acana Pacifica PLUS a minimum of four fish units2 per day PLUS six sockeye salmon oil capsules per day.
- Any of the raw diets above for one meal and Orijen Six Fish OR Acana Pacifica kibble as the other daily meal.
- Orijen Six Fish OR Acana Pacifica PLUS a minimum of two fish units2 per day.
The following recipe is for a single adult meal when two meals a day are being fed. It is designed to be mixed in the feeding bowl for convenience. However to modify the quantity fed at each meal and/or to store in the refrigerator (up to two days) or in the freezer (up to two months), the mixture can be made in a mixing bowl in multiples of the ingredients. When made in batches, the mixture can be made into meatballs or patties (for frying) but is preferably served raw.
2 [213 g] cans pink salmon OR 1 can [213g] sockeye salmon
2 large or extra large eggs if fried OR 2 egg yolks if served raw
2 to 4 cups bread crumbs, preferably Panko bread crumbs
- Empty the canned salmon (with juices) into the feeding bowl.
- Add the eggs and bread crumbs and stir until well combined.
Yield: One of two daily servings for a Newf.
Sockeye Salmon Oil – for prevention of cancer, for prevention/easing of arthritis, for extra omega-3.
Usual dosage for SSO is 1000 mg for every 20 lbs of body weight; this can be increased to up to 1000 mg of SSO for every 10 lbs of body weight as long as gastric upset does not result.
Krill Oil – Alternative to sockeye salmon oil for Newfs that have a digestive sensitivity to high doses of SSO. An adult Newf should get 1000 mg to 2000 mg daily of krill oil.
Turmeric – for prevention of cancer, for prevention/easing of arthritis, and as a liver protectant.
A high quality turmeric capsule encapsulated in olive oil like that made by New Chapter should be used. Dosage should be two, four or six capsules per day. Alternatively a turmeric paste for dogs can be used; recipes can be found on the internet OR you can use a turmeric tea such as the one made by Celebration Herbals.
Normally a Newf would be fed twice a day but some prefer once a day and others may like a small and large meal daily. For example, with the homemade diet, you might only feed fish for the morning meal and all four eggs, the bread units and remaining fish units in the evening.
Canned fish should be fed with the liquid. Canned fish is usually cooked in the can and most of the nutrients that are cooked out of the flesh go into the liquid.
For pups under five months of age, they should normally remain on the diet they were weaned on. If you choose to supplement a pup under five months, please check with the breeder first.
As a taste enhancer, a raw egg can be mixed in or top dressed on kibble.
For senior Newfoundlands (eight years and over) a kibble free diet (to prevent bloat) is strongly recommended along with supplementation with sockeye salmon oil and turmeric.
After each meal your Newf should be given a large dog biscuit or Denta-Stix for good oral health.
Feeding foods other than those listed on the A or B lists above, with the exception of normal dog treats such as dog biscuits or the odd table scrap, or minor amounts of taste enhancers, to a Hannibal Newf will normally void both the soundness and the longevity guarantees. Receipts or best by stamps proving feed used may be requested if claiming on either one of these guarantees. The temperament guarantee is not affected by food fed. If there should be a problem with the recommended foods or you have an alternate preference, please consult Peter for other acceptable options.
- A bread unit consists of a slice of pumpernickel bread or 2 slices of sourdough. Please note that sourdough bread usually has half the calories of pumpernickel. If fermented bread is not available, then a high calorie (110 – 130 calories/slice) whole grain bread may be used but is generally not as digestible.
- A fish unit consists of:
- 1 100g/4oz can of regular sardines like Brunswick Sardines in spring water
- 1 120g can S & F Portuguese Sardines in water
- 1/3 213g/7.5 oz can of Sockeye Salmon
- ½ 213g/7.5 oz can of wild caught pink pacific salmon
- ¼ 418g/14.75 oz can of wild caught pink pacific salmon
- ¼ 425g/15 oz can of Jack Mackerel from Chile or Peru
The following examples are not meant to be definitive as metabolism and other factors such as level of exercise and ambient temperature all play a part in the dietary needs of a dog.
- 120-140 lb ADULT NEWFOUNDLAND
Morning Meal – 1 213g can pink salmon (2 fish units/280 – 320 calories), 3 slices of pumpernickel (3 bread units/300 – 390 calories), 2 raw eggs (100 calories), 3 SOCKEYE salmon oil capsules (30 calories), 1 mug of turmeric tea PLUS a large dog biscuit for teeth & gums (115 calories).
Evening Meal – 1 213g can pink salmon (2 fish units/280 – 320 calories), 3 slices of pumpernickel (3 bread units/300 – 390 calories), 2 raw eggs (100 calories), 3 SOCKEYE salmon oil capsules (30 calories), 1 mug of turmeric tea PLUS a large dog biscuit for teeth & gums (115 calories).
- 100-120 lb SENIOR NEWFOUNDLAND (10 years & over)
Morning Meal – 1 300g can SOCKEYE salmon (3 fish units/320 calories), 4 – 6 slices of sourdough (2 – 3 bread units/240 – 320 calories), 2 raw egg yolks (100 calories), 1 turmeric capsule PLUS a medium DentaStix.
Evening Meal – 1 300g can SOCKEYE salmon (3 fish units/320 calories), 4 – 6 slices of sourdough (2 – 3 bread units/240 – 320 calories), 2 raw egg yolks (100 calories), 1 turmeric capsule PLUS a medium DentaStix.
Updated: May 1, 2016